Friday, January 9, 2009

Post Weighs in on Clinton Foundation Transparency

Back on December 2, I noted some shortcomings in the pledges President Clinton's foundation is making to avoid conflicts with Senator Clinton's likely service as Secretary of State.

Today, for the second time, the Washington Post's editorial page expresses concern about some of the same issues. I missed a similar editorial in the Post on December 20. Here's Clinton Foundation CEO Bruce Lindsey's letter to the Post describing the paper's stance as "shortsighted and dangerous."

While it may come as a shock to some, I'm already on the record agreeing with Lindsey. I said asking Mr. Clinton to suspend his work in this area was "stupid." On the other hand, I said real-time disclosure was the best way to handle any conflicts. The pledges still fall short on that score.